One of my favourite fish recipe is this one. Fried fish pieces in a sweet and tangy tamarind sauce. I have used homemade tamarind pulp ,you can also use the store bought ones but do check for the sourness as store bought pulp are very tangy.
- 500 gms rohu fish
- 10-12 curry leaves
- salt to taste
- mustard oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 green chillies slit
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp panch phoron(blend of 5 spices: cumin seeds,fennel seeds,kalongi(nigella),black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds(methi seeds)
- 1tbsp of turmeric
- 1tbsp of red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp of tamarind pulp(use 1/2 tbsp if using store bought) mixed in a cup of water
- 4-5 tbsp of jaggery( gud) powder mixed in a cup of water
- juice of 1 lemon
- Marinate fish pieces with 1/2 tbsp of turmeric, 1/2 tbsp of red chilli powder 1/2 tbsp of salt and lemon juice. coat the fish well and let it rest for 15 mins. Heat a pan and add 2-3 tbsp of mustard oil. Add in the fish pieces one by one and cook until done.Transfer the fried fish to a plate.
- Heat a wok with 2 tbsp mustard oil.Once heated, add in dry red chillies, panch phoron, curry leaves and sliced onions. Fry until onions are golden add in 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder tamarind water and jaggery water. mix well. Add in salt to taste. Let the gravy simmer. Taste and adjust the flavors according to your preference.I personally like it a little sweet than tangy. Once you r satisfied with the taste add in the fish pieces and let it simmer for about 5 mins.
- Garnish with curry leaves and serve with roti or steamed rice.