Dalema or Dalma is one of the authentic dishes prepared in Odisha. Its one of the staple dishes prepared in every Oriya home. Dalema is super healthy rich in proteins as its loaded with dals(lentils) and variety of vegetables.Pair this curry with steamed rice, vegetable stir fry and tomato chutney or mango chutney.
For the curry
- 1/2 cup toor dal (split pigeon peas)
- 2 tbsps channa dal (bengal gram)
- salt to taste
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 1 inch grated ginger
- slit green chillies
- vegetables cut in big chunks (1 large potato,pumpkin, 1/2 papaya,1 bringal, 1 raw banana, 1 drumstick, 4-5 ladies finger)
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped
- water as required
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 dry red chilli
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- a pinch hing( asefoetida)
- chopped coriander leaves
- roasted and crushed cumin seeds (1 tbsp cumin seeds+ 1 dry red chilli)
- 1 tsp ghee
- Soak dals for 30 mins. Cut the vegetables and big chunks(you don’t want to overcook the vegetables).Heat a wok add 1 tbsp of oil fry the drumsticks and ladies finger on high for around 30 secs.Flying will help the veggies from splitting during boiling along with other veggies.Pressure cook dals along with vegetables, chopped tomato,salt to taste, turmeric powder, chillies and grated ginger on high for one whistle.Adjust salt if needed.
- Dry roast cumin seeds and red chilli intil fragrant. Crush and keep aside for later use.
- For tempering, heat ghee add in cumin seeds, red chilli, grated ginger and bay leaf and hing. Cook for 10 secs add add in to the dal. Set the dalma to boil, garnish with roasted cumin powder, coriander leaves and ghee.
Serve hot with steamed rice.